The 5 MILLION KIDS (5MK) 'Silver Rights' Initiative is aimed at breaking the back of the high-school drop-out epidemic in America by highlighting the importance of education in future success, how youth can get rich legally, how a level of 5% of mentors and role models stabilize and mobilize a community for success, and how staying in school leads to a financially healthy and dignified life.
Through the 5 MILLION KIDS Initiative, Operation HOPE strives to 'Make Smart Sexy (Again)', to make it fashionable to be intelligent and positively engaged in life. To make it trendy and cool, to want to be a professional: a teacher, CPA, doctor, dentist or nurse, lawyer, entrepreneur, local small business owner, or a member of the clergy.
Comments on Status: The 5MK measures of success are to:
(1) empower five million youth and adults with financial literacy education
(2) open 50,000 savings accounts for youth
(3) open 50,000 savings accounts for adults
(4) secure million in earned income tax credit (EITC)
(5) engage 250,000 volunteers to teach financial literacy in communities across the country.
Operation HOPE, Inc.'s implementation strategy includes:
- Banking on Our Future classroom instruction will be delivered year-round in schools and community based organizations over a five year-period educating and estimated 1,000,000 youth ages 9 - 18.
- Bankingonourfuture.Org will launch in Q4 2008 and 4,000,000 youth and young adults will participate over five years.
- Banking on Our Future College Edition will launch in Q4 2008 and expand into 101 colleges and universities over five years targeting 200,000 students.
- The HOPE starter savings pilot will be implemented in Los Angeles in Q1 - Q2 2009 and will expand to three other markets by Q4 2009. Full national rollout Q1 2010 will open 50,000 new accounts.
- The EITC program will launch in Q4 2008 for a target of 50,000 million in returns.
- The HOPE Center Banking Network will begin the 5MK unbanked outreach campaign in Q4 2008 and secure 50,000 new bank accounts with HOPE bank partners over five years.
The 5MK HOPE Corps recruitment campaign will begin at the 5MK launch in Q4 2008 and 25,000 volunteers will be recruited and trained over five years.
Performance Metrics anticipated include:
- 5 million students who will receive financial literacy, dignity, and entrepreneurship training.
- 50,000 starter saving accounts opened and maintained.
- ,000 Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) refunds.
- 50,000 new bank accounts.
25,000 HOPE Corps volunteers recruited, trained, and deployed.