There are two components to this commitment. First, Beach Savers will energize and motivate the community to make a consistent and lifetime commitment to keeping Hong Kong beaches clean. To do so, Beach Savers will begin by establishing a suitable name and logo that will be designed to become easily recognizable, and more importantly one that people will be proud to be associated with. Beach Savers will then focus on re-energizing environmental education and management for the community, governmental departments, and most importantly within the schools and tertiary institutions. This is no easy job as Hong Kong has had a 'camp' mentality-people either choose or simply do not see their own litter.
The second component of the commitment is to leverage the momentum from the above awareness raising campaign and encourage the Hong Kong government to establish a 'beach authority', which will be tasked with coordinating efforts to clean up beaches and to arrange for the placement of disposal bins at the beaches. The beaches in Hong Kong are inconsistently serviced, maintained and administered through many different departments but none report to or are being co-ordinated by one entity of authority and responsibility. The establishment of a centralized authority will be the key to sustaining clean and healthy beaches, once the initial major clean up is undertaken.
Should this model work, it could be replicated in other countries in regions that face similar challenges.
The Identification of the Brand ' BEACH SAVERS' ( 4 - 6 weeks)
- In conjunction with a public relations firm, establish the milestones and process for the establishment, design and launch of the Brand.
The Establishment of The HK Beach Authority. (6 - 12 months)
- Engage the appropriate Government Department(s) to allow this to happen. This Authority shall be ideally responsible for all aspects relating to the beaches of Hong Kong, including their regular cleaning, grooming and removal of rubbish. Other areas of responsibility shall include but not be limited to the design and management of beach architecture (Look out towers, changing facilities, equipment stores, kiosks, signage, life guards, netting and so forth. Currently some of these areas of responsibility are split between various different Government departments. The concept is that they would either continue to be responsible for specific areas but answer to and be guided by the Authority or the Authority itself would assume the role of the maintenance of the beaches.
The Launch of the Brand (12 months)
- Arrange for the most effective launch of the Brand and start date of the commitment
The Execution (ongoing 24 months)
- In conjunction with the HK Gov., facilitate the heavy lifting i.e. the initial large scale clean up of the beaches, location by location, utilizing heavy equipment such as Bob Cats
- In conjunction with Schools, Community Groups, Like minded NGO's arrange presentations on the commitment and marry beach locations geographically with these bodies in order to schedule Beach Saver Days
The Sustainment of The Commitment
- Beach Savers to handover the responsibility of the Commitment to the HK Beach Authority on a carefully planned and agreed timetable. Beach Savers to remain as a voluntary NGO working on and with the HK Beach Authority