There are four primary goals that Cash for Clunkers (CFC) will attempt to accomplish:
1) Reduce the GHG emissions from the transportation sector in the United States of America.
-75% of all automotive emissions are caused by cars that are 13 year and older even though they only account for 25% of all miles driven. These cars also spew 10-30 times more pollution than newer cars.
2) Stimulate a struggling economy and middle class.
- Help the Automakers and Detroit by encouraging the purchase of newer vehicles.
- Help middle class Americans by purchasing 'clunkers' or high emission, low MPG vehicles at a premium.
3) Reduce America's dependency on foreign oil.
4) Reduce the number of automotive related fatalities by switching many families to safer new vehicles.
How it Works:
- Cash for Clunkers will take 20 million of America's worst polluting cars off of our roads.
- The program will offer a premium on top of the market value for these vehicles.
- Cash for Clunkers will also salvage as much value from these clunkers to help mitigate the costs of program.
- The value of scrap steel has increased significantly in the past five years.
- There is a sizable market for auto-parts and precious metals from salvaged vehicles.
- The program will build on existing cash for clunkers programs operating in California and Texas.
- The program will be managed through auto dealers who will take in the clunkers and disburse the premiums. The vehicles will be sent to the salvage yards and the salvage value recouped by the US treasury.
- The program will cost - billion and will generate hundreds of thousands of jobs in Detroit and throughout the automotive supply chain. Dealership will also benefit from the increased customer flow.
SmartTransportation.org will garner support and work to pass this bill into a law.
The Cash for Clunkers program will:
- Reinvigorate Detroit and America's automotive industry.
- Reduce dependency on foreign oil.
- Target the worst and most offending pollution and CO2 emitters and get them off American roads.
SmartTransportation.org will work with various parties including offices of select congressman to help:
- Research information for the creation of the bill. (Time Approximately 8 - 16 months)
- Create a bill with the appropriate legislative language. (Time Approximately 6 - 12 months)
- Garner support to help pass the bill into a law (Time Approximately 12 - 24 months)
- Number of 'clunkers' taken off American roads: 20 Million Cars.
- Number of jobs created: 150,000 Jobs
- Reduced Automotive GHG Emissions: 20%+