Having operating out of rented homes in a suburb of Accra, Ghana for its first 5 years, and after proving the effectiveness of its academic model by graduating two classes of students, and proving that its financial model is sustainable, the time is right for Ashesi University to become a permanent fixture in African education.
First, this commitment will increase their student body a a total of 600, or 150 graduates per year. Second, these graduates, who would have been educated to think critically and ethically, will impact the lives of many more people in Ghana and in Africa. Third, this expansion sets the stage for a much larger expansion of our project in the future, which will directly impact the lives of more students and society. Fourth, Ashesi University will challenge other educational institutions on the continent to follow our lead and adopt a Liberal Arts model of education, which we believe will help nurture the enlightened leaders that Africa needs.
The implementation of this first important expansion of Ashesi University will proceed as follows:
- Fundraising, implemented by the President of the University, Ashesi University Foundation staff and members of the Board of Trustees
- Business Development by university executives and staff
- New curriculum design by university faculty, working in collaboration with their peers in the United States
- Campus construction implemented by yet to be determined contractor, managed by university staff and an architect
Measures of Success:
1. Continue to prove educational model by placing 90% of graduates in productive employment within six months of graduation.
2. Continue to register steady growth in applications to Ashesi University.
3. Continue to prove financial sustainability by achieving 70% or greater coverage of university expenses from tuition fees.
4. Continue to enable access to underprivileged families by providing financial aid to 40-50% of the university's student body. Secure philanthropic gifts for 70% of the campus capital campaign within the next 18 months.
The mission of Ashesi University is to train a new generation of ethical, entrepreneurial leaders in Africa. The university seeks to begin a movement to educate leaders who have a strong commitment to their society, who can think critically, and who can engage with the world around them to change the African condition.
Ashesi University is motivated by the vision of an educational system in Africa that requires all future leaders to ask the quintessential questions about what a good society is, and how it should be organized. They are excited about the prospect of every undergraduate student, every military academy cadet, and every police academy cadet probing these questions before they graduate. They can imagine what would happen if all of Africa's teachers, doctors, engineers, politicians, police officers and military officers believed in values-based leadership.
OFFERING: best practice information.
SEEKING: financial resources, implementing partners,
best practice information and media/marketing opportunities.
Ashesi University Foundation seek more donor partners interested in supporting innovative higher education in Africa. Ashesi University Foundation would be happy to share our expertise and experience with other Africans interested in starting new universities or schools on the continent.