1. Donation of US.25 million
Donation of worth of free minutes to be drip fed to Digicel subscribers living in the devastated areas: Artibonite ( Gonaives), South, Southeast, Nippes, West.
Donation of in cash to NGOs that are actively bringing relief to the victims:
- Red Cross () - for basic relief in Nippes, which has been badly affected and has not received any aid so far. Needs are: water, food items, basic toiletries. In addition, this will be used for aid in other areas including the Southeast.
- Food for the Poor () - for logistical support for transport by air of 2 water treatment plants loaned to them by an English firm to Haiti to be delivered to Gonaives; transport and distribution of 90 containers of food and first necessities items that they need to take to the devastated areas.
- Catholic Relief Services () - for food and first aid kits to populations in need in the South and Grand-Anse.
- Concern: () - for delivery of hygienic kits, water containers and treatments tabs and kitchen kits to people in shelters in La Gonave and Saut D'eau.
- Civil society committee () - to be given at the telethon (below).
- to contribute to Fonkoze's Disaster Recovery Programme
- worth of goods to be distributed by Digicel directly to the victims in the forms of tents, water (donated by Brana), mattresses, and medical kits.
2. Participation in a live Telethon/Radiothon to raise funds for the benefit of the victims:
Digicel customers will be able to donate a relief amount by SMS that will then be deducted from their account. Digicel will donate:
- 10 toll free lines in a CUG with a short code
- 5 SMS short codes to which Digicel customers can transfer funds. The SMS fee to these short codes is waived. These short codes are:
1001 10 Gdes
1002 25 Gdes
1003 50 Gdes
1004 100 Gdes
1005 250 Gdes
- Access will be given for the Diaspora to a dedicated number/short code on which they will make transfers of minutes. Our partners in the Diaspora (CAM, Unitransfert) where contacted and asked to waive commission fees.
3. Donations of a 40-foot container of clothes, food and water from Digicel Martinique, Guadeloupe, Guyana & Barbados to be distributed to the needy through the Digicel Foundation
4. Launch of special promotions to keep Haitians in Haiti and those in the Diaspora connected throughout this difficult time
- 3 days of Free International SMS: From Saturday September 6th to Monday September 8th, all Digicel subscribers are allowed to send international text messages for free from 8AM to 12PM.
- Double bubble for Haiti Diaspora: This was run yesterday Saturday September 6th. to encourage the top-up of Digicel Haiti handsets. Top-up on Saturday was approx. 1.5M. Normally it is around 400k to 600k.
5. Participation of Digicel employees in a Blood donation with Red Cross and extension of this blood donation effort to its subscribers
6. Broadcasting of Hurricane tips messages on:
- All of radio stations on which we have ads in rotation will be playing these ads, teaching people what to do during the hurricane season to protect themselves
- Ads in the newspaper with tips
- USSD messages - same tips as the ones being broadcasted in press and radio
7. Free credit to the Government Crises Management Team, Red Cross and Coast Guard
From mid-August 2008, Haiti was bombarded with hurricanes and tropical storms. Fay and Gustav drenched the country but it was hurricane Hanna that really took Haiti by surprise, arriving along the northern coast on the 1st September, again dumping immense amounts of rain on the island. Hanna was not due to hit Haiti and so no previous warning was issued, but due to other depressions in the region, Hanna abruptly changed her path and headed south to Haiti's north coast. While assessing the severe damage caused by these three storms, Haiti was dealt a final blow when Hurricane Ike made landfall on September 10th. These four consecutive storms brought heavy rains which not only claimed roads, houses, and general infrastructure, but also hundreds of lives and thousands of livelihoods.
SEEKING: implementing partners.
OFFERING: financial resources, media and marketing opportunities.