One of the global aims of this initiative was the development of innovations to favor the remote monitoring of the individuals affected by spinal cord injury in the World and to transform their lives by means of simulation technologies.
In this field, the Foundation collaborated with the well known technological company INDRA and the Research Center of the National Hospital for Spinal Cord Injury (HPNT), the most important rehabilitation hospital in Spain for spinal cord injury patients. The first research project selected was the development of an advanced remote monitoring system for individuals affected by spinal cord injury, the TOyRA Project.
The TOyRA Project Agreement was signed in Madrid in May 21st, 2008.
The original project was expanded to other diseases because one we got a rigorous monitoring system we can improve quality of life of a lot of patients. Now this application is installed in five hospitals along the country operating on a cloud-based system:
Hospital Virgen de la Salud de Toledo
Hospital de la Beata Maria Ana de Jesús (Madrid)
ASPAYM Castilla-León (Valladolid)
Centro de Referencia Estatal de Discapacidad y Dependencia de San Andrés de Rabanedo (León) (IMSERSO).
An important additional component of the Foundation's Commitment was the building of a new Sport Center at the National Hospital for Spinal Cord Injury (HPNT). The building was finished in 2010. The complex, named 'Sport Center Rafael del Pino' is situated close to the HNPT main building in a beautiful landscape beside the river Tajo in Toledo.
The Sport Center will not only be an ancillary instrument for the public hospital and its patients, but also for external users. The spatial plan targets three main functions: 1) to give people suffering mobility problems special and very qualified space avoiding obstacles and physical barriers; 2) enable the provision of high-quality sporting opportunities for Paralympics athletes; 3) provide a Sport Center that is able to bring the the external beauty of the landscape indoors and engender a connection to the wilderness of natural landscape indoors.
Contemporary architectural styles and their abilities to support a symbiotic relationship with nature enables the Foundation's commitment to send an optimistic message about the future of health. Symbolically, the integration between injured and abled-body occupants, outdoor and indoor spatial experiences in the hospital, will help integrate the delivery of healthcare services that synergize the healing potential of bothsport and natural beauty.
The President of the Foundation Rafael del Pino, María del Pino, and the President of the Government of Castilla-La Mancha, José María Barreda, signed the 'Sport Center Rafael del Pino' Agreement in Toledo in July 24th, 2008. An Addendum was signed in July 16 th, 2010 in order to improve the project by means of the development of additional equipment halls and a High Performance Centre.
All of these concepts were added in 2011. In the following months the Sport Center will be open to all users: paraplegics, tetraplegics and able-bodied people, because the purpose of this project is the integrate health through sport.
An additional effort was made by the Foundation Rafael del Pino in order to improve the quality of individual lives affected by spinal cord injuries and to make their daily lives easier. The Foundation approved a special budget to furnish the medical equipment for the new Rehabilitation Center for Spinal Cord Injured of the Foundation of Spinal Cord Injuries (Fundación Lesionado Medular) in Madrid. The agreement between both Foundations was signed in Madrid in November 28th, 2007.
The following steps have been taken.
- Formed institutional partnership with HNPT and INDRA;
- Established implementation teams in the fields of Research and Sport infrastructure;
- Identification of seven specific research projects and selection of two of them for the first phase of the project.
- Finalized the architectural project, from the Architect Salvador Perez Arroyo, for the Sport Center at the HNPT.
- Strengthened contacts with local authorities to give impetus to the project.
- Signature of the agreement between the Foundation Rafael del Pino and the Foundation of Spinal Cord Injuries, in Madrid (November 28th, 2007), to equip the new Rehabilitation Center of this Foundation.
- Signature of the agreement of the TOyRA Project between the Foundation Rafael del Pino, INDRA and the Foundation of the HNPT, in Madrid (May 21st, 2008).
- Signature of the agreement of the 'Sport Center Rafael del Pino' between the Foundation Rafael del Pino, the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and the Foundation of the HNPT, in Toledo (July 24th, 2008).
- Signature of the building contract of the 'Sport Center Rafael del Pino' between the Foundation Rafael del Pino and the building company Ferrovial Agromán in Madrid (July 31st, 2008).
- Signature of the Addendum between the Foundation Rafael del Pino and the Government of Castilla La-Mancha (July 16 th, 2010).
- European Cup Wheelchair Basketball: Willi Brinkmann (April 29 th and 30 th, May 1st, 2011)
- Signature of the agreement of the 'Sport Center Rafael del Pino' between the Foundation Rafael del Pino and the Government of Castilla-La Mancha for putting it into operation (December 30th, 2013).