Phase One: Factory Stoves; 'Upper' Base of the Pyramid (BOP) market
Prakti will scale through five distributors with the expectation to distribute 10,000 - 20,000 stoves each during the first year. Once 100,000 stoves have been sold, Prakti will seek business partners to license its products and continue marketing stoves on their own.
- Create partnerships with manufacturers (factories) to produce the stoves (mass-produced consumer products).
- Create partnerships with distributors to get the stoves out into the market.
- Explore the licensing model to get others to produce and sell the stoves, once the market has been established.
- Ongoing cost reduction through R&D with a target of 20 percent cost reduction per year.
Phase Two: Cottage Industry Stoves; 'Lower' BOP market
Publish a full set of specifications (design, production, tooling), and training materials (manual, videos) for a fixed mud/masonry stove and for a portable metal stove. Partner with two organizations to scale-up training.
- Create partnerships with project implementation staff to train local entrepreuneurs on stove production.
- Develope a complete set of training materials for measuring/maintaining/producing the stoves (online customization tools, videos, slide shows, templates).
Half the world's population uses biomass fuel for cooking, consuming 3 billion kilograms of wood per day. This has a major impact on the environment (global warming, desertification) and family health (indoor air pollution), as well as being a social burden where wood is scarce. There are no well-designed, low cost, mass-produced, fuel-efficient biomass cooking stoves in the market in rural India and Africa, where the need is greatest. Prakti Design Lab has developed unique factory-produced stoves made from off-the-shelf raw materials that can be built in any factory in an industrial or semi-industrial country. Prakti currently has the only mass producible double pot stoves and chimney stoves in the market - with both meeting international stove performance benchmarks.
Prakti was selected by a major rural market distributor, Selco-India, as their preferred (sole) stove supplier. It has now started scale-up with five other Indian rural distributors (IFMR, CCD, SEVAI, LittleWorld, and AVAG).
Prakti is providing engineering and/or manufacturing services to TIDE, Aprovecho, and Auroville-CSR -- all former winners of the green technology Ashden Award. Prakti is also providing design and engineering support to GTZ, the German Government Technical Assistance Organization in Africa (Mauritania, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Benin, Uganda) and Asia (Tajikistan).
Prakti is looking for distributors in India, to promote and sell Prakti products both to urban and rural customers, and to domestic and institutional customers.