Each partner has its own plan for increasing its contributions to sustainable forestry in association with the Rainforest Alliance.
The project's projected monetary value includes $43,000,000 in program expenditures by the Rainforest Alliance over the course of the next five years that will enable the organization to:
1) certify 170,000,000 acres of forest; 2) create and expand services beyond FSC certification to provide enhanced service to new sectors and regions; 3) expand support and technical assistance to improve competitiveness of certified small and medium enterprises; and 4) add value to certified forest operations through marketing of environmental goods.
In addition, a projected $437,940,000 will be spent by Gibson Musical Instruments, Domtar and Time Inc. on outreach to increase the supply of sustainably produced wood products and their companies' procurement of those products.
Gibson Musical Instruments, Inc. has created a SmartSource Action Plan to increase the availability of wood for Gibson Musical Instruments that is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified and in process of earning certification over the next five years. The plan's proposed activities will enable Gibson Musical Instruments to maximize FSC certified production across all divisions and to develop sustainable supply chains that will be able to meet the company's wood purchasing needs into the future.
Domtar is revising its forest policy and fiber use and sourcing policy, and is committed to doing outreach to forest owners in the regions of its new mills to encourage and support certification strategies.
Based on Time Inc.'s successful experiences to date in increasing the volume of certified wood fibers used in the production of pulp and paper for the company's magazines, the company will implement new guidelines to further increase certified fiber procurement and require that forest management plans study the impact that harvesting and replanting will have on the carbon lifecycle of the forest.
The impact of the commitment will be measured by tracking:
- Acres certified to Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) standards or verified to agreed-upon, responsible forest management standards;
- Number of operations certified to FSC or to agreed upon responsible forest management standards;
- Volume certified to FSC or verified to agreed-upon, responsible forest management standards as a percentage of Gibson Musical Instruments', Domtar's and Time Inc's total input;
- Number of manufacturers and processors trained in FSC certification; and
- Number of forest management operations trained in sustainable best management practices and FSC certification.
The Rainforest Alliance will work to bring about mainstream trade in forest products that more consistently emphasize social and environmental sustainability, innovative partnerships supporting sustainability for all scales of businesses, and practical incentives recognizing environmental services - including carbon sequestration - for forests. Gibson Musical Instruments, the leading musical instruments company in the United States, Domtar, the world's second largest paper producer, and Time Inc., one of the largest publishing companies in the world, will develop new goals for aggressively scaling up their use of Forest Stewardship Council certified wood products over a five year period. The Rainforest Alliance will help ensure that their suppliers meet Forest Stewardship Council or other responsible forest management standards.
CGI's focus on poverty alleviation and climate change, coupled with its own commitment to sustainable paper use, provides a unique forum for helping initiative members learn more about the role that sustainable forest products procurement can play in their own purchasing. By making this commitment, the Rainforest Alliance, Gibson Musical Instruments, and Domtar hope to inspire other private sector leaders, most of whom use some type of forest products, to invest in sustainable sourcing.
This commitment will help the Rainforest Alliance to achieve its goal of increasing sustainable forest management around the world by 170,000,000 acres within the next five years (an increase of over 1.5 times the total area certified by RA to the standards of the Forest Stewardship Council today), enhancing livelihoods and contributing to avoided deforestation.
With the support of the Clinton Global Initiative and its members, the Rainforest Alliance, Gibson Musical Instruments, Domtar, and Time, Inc. expect to add new partners (such as home builders, publishers, packaging manufacturers) to this commitment each year.