Each year, CGI U hosts an impact-driven Codeathon for higher education students of all academic backgrounds to develop technology solutions to pressing global challenges. The Codeathon is a two-day competition in advance of the annual CGI U meeting that challenges student teams to develop technology platforms that address a specific issue. The event culminates with students pitching their ideas to a panel of judges for the chance to be featured on-stage at the annual CGI U meeting with President Bill Clinton and Chelsea Clinton.
Past CGI U Codeathons have included:
- CGI U 2019 featured several Codeathons throughout the academic year hosted by CGI University Network institutions, including Arizona State University, Cornell University, ETH Zurich, Miami Dade College, UC Berkeley, and UC San Diego
- CGI U 2018 Codeathon with the Clinton Climate Initiative at the University of Chicago, challenging students to develop tech platforms to improve disaster recovery and response efforts
- CGI U 2017 Codeathon with the Clinton Climate Initiative at Northeastern University, challenging students to develop tech platforms to increase energy efficiency in metropolitan cities
- CGI U 2016 with the Clinton Health Matters Initiative at the University of California, Berkeley, challenging students to develop tech platforms that improve mental health on college campuses
- CGI U 2015 at the University of Miami, challenging students to develop unique digital prototypes that addressed a pressing challenge within CGI U's focus areas of education, environment and climate change, and public health
2020 Call for Code - University Edition
Presented by IBM & CGI U
In addition to the annual CGI U Codeathon, CGI U is co-hosting a series of Call for Code® educational events in collaboration with IBM and organizations around the world.
Participating students will have access to IBM technological resources and content experts to engage with and help bring ideas to life, and students from winning teams will receive cash prizes, the opportunity to participate in the next CGI U program, and covered travel to CGI U 2021 at the University of Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland. You can find more details about Call for Code on IBM's Challenge homepage.
2020 Call for Code® – University Edition Event Series
April 22, 2020: Earth Day Kick-Off Virtual Event
Full event replay
April 24-26, 2020: Cal Hacks and Postman present the hack:now Hackathon
May 21, 2020: Tackling COVID-19 and Urban Issues in NYC and Beyond
Full event replay
Stay tuned for more events that will be announced soon!
Ready to submit your idea?
Join the fight against COVID-19 and climate change by developing and submitting your ideas to IBM and CGI U's 2020 Call for Code® Global Challenge - University Edition! For more details, please visit: developer.ibm.com/callforcode