Each year, CGI U hosts an impact-driven Codeathon for higher education students of all academic backgrounds to develop technology solutions to pressing global challenges. The Codeathon is a two-day competition in advance of the annual CGI U meeting that challenges student teams to develop technology platforms that address a specific issue. The event culminates with students pitching their ideas to a panel of judges for the chance to be featured on-stage at the annual CGI U meeting with President Bill Clinton and Chelsea Clinton.
Past CGI U Codeathons have included:
- CGI U 2020 featured twelve virtual Codeathons, engaging students in tackling pressing challenges such as COVID-19 and climate change. During this unprecedented year, IBM and CGI U engaged more than 59,000 students through its offerings, partnering with the University of Edinburgh, the Australian National University, MIT, Georgia Tech, Drexel University, Cal Hacks, IvyHacks, Caribbean Girls Hack, Unity, and the New York City Mayor’s Office.
- CGI U 2019 featured several Codeathons throughout the academic year hosted by CGI University Network institutions, including Arizona State University, Cornell University, ETH Zurich, Miami Dade College, UC Berkeley, and UC San Diego
- CGI U 2018 Codeathon with the Clinton Climate Initiative at the University of Chicago, challenging students to develop tech platforms to improve disaster recovery and response efforts
- CGI U 2017 Codeathon with the Clinton Climate Initiative at Northeastern University, challenging students to develop tech platforms to increase energy efficiency in metropolitan cities
- CGI U 2016 with the Clinton Health Matters Initiative at the University of California, Berkeley, challenging students to develop tech platforms that improve mental health on college campuses
- CGI U 2015 at the University of Miami, challenging students to develop unique digital prototypes that addressed a pressing challenge within CGI U's focus areas of education, environment and climate change, and public health
2021 Call for Code - University Edition
Presented by IBM & CGI U
In addition to the annual CGI U Codeathon, CGI U is co-hosting a series of Call for Code® educational events in collaboration with IBM and organizations around the world.
Participating students will have access to IBM technological resources and content experts to engage with and help bring ideas to life, and students from winning teams will receive cash prizes and the opportunity to participate in the CGI U program. You can find more details about Call for Code on IBM's Challenge homepage.
2021 Call for Code® – University Edition Event Series
February 5-6, 2021 Arizona State University Hackathon
This event is only open to the ASU student community – registration link forthcoming.
Stay tuned for more details on the 2021 virtual schedule of Codeathon events co-hosted by CGI U and IBM.