The commitment will comprise direct services to the community to address specific problems, including:
- Maintenance and development of services for an orphanage (including HIV testing) and in-house school, focusing on educating in English (September 2009-July 2010)
- Two additional rural school libraries (September - November 2009)
- Development of an ESL (English as a Second Language) program, for the schools as well as the orphanage, that complements the libraries being built, and the development of an intern program to support the teaching in English pronunciation (September 2009 - July 2010)
The commitment will also provide a school lunch program and pre-school education in 10 villages and an Early Learning Centre; and a major initiative to investigate appropriate and sustainable opportunities for the development of education in the region with the help of partners (September 2009 - July 2010)
The commitment will see the launch of a major initiative to provide clean drinking water for 6 villages (5,275 people) through three community water systems provided by Water Health India (September 2009 - December 2010)
The commitment will also provide the local grass-roots charity, IRDC, with funding and help with projects to strengthen its ability to achieve its goals of supporting and helping provide food security for very poor, agriculture based rural communities in 28 villages, approximately 23,000 people, specifically including:
- The provision of a livestock program, including regular veterinary care (September 2009 - July 2010)
- The launch of a kitchen garden program (September 2009 - July 2010)
- An investigation into the potential of establishing a 'grain bank' (October 2009 - July 2010)
- An investigation into the potential for establishing a women run dairy (October 2009 - December 2010)
Lady de Rothschild's birthday wish led to the establishment of the Lady Lynn Joyful Home, which coincided with the launch of CGI in 2005. The personal commitment of the Rothschilds to help provide a better future for 50 children has been transformed, through the inspiration of CGI, into a deep determination to help a whole community of 23,000 people through sustainable initiatives in education, clean drinking water provision, and investment in agricultural development.
SEEKING: financial assistance, implementing partners, best practice information.
Education - we are not experts in this area and would welcome partners that have expertise; Water - this is a major initiative and funding partners would be warmly welcomed; Intern Program - young people who can finance their own participation (or be sponsored by others) will receive food and accommodation is return for working with IRDC
OFFERING: best practice information, other
Offering an intern opportunity for summer 2010.
Integrated Rural Development Centre (IRDC), Tamil Nadu, India
The Lurie Foundation, Massachusetts, US
Global Literacy Project, Inc, New Jersey, US
Water Health India Pvt Limited (WHIN), Hyderabad, India
Chetan Kapoor, RAN Research Pvt Limited, Haryana, India