The Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) is looking for higher education students, undergraduate or graduate, who are addressing pressing challenges in five focus areas: Education, Environment and Climate Change, Peace and Human Rights, Poverty Alleviation, and Public Health.
Students selected for CGI U's programs receive access to personalized mentorship, social impact programming, funding opportunities through CGI U partners, and student engagement events, including the CGI U 2022 virtual annual meeting hosted by President Bill Clinton and Chelsea Clinton.
CGI U's student programs include:
- CGI U 2022: Our cornerstone program, launched in 2007, supporting students across the world who have made Commitments to Action. Learn more about our CGI U year-long program.
- Verizon Forward For Good Challenge: An extension program supporting students and CGI U alumni in the U.S. in advancing projects that use leading-edge technology with the opportunity to earn a spot in an accelerator program and pitch for seed funding. Learn more about the Challenge with Verizon.
- IBM Call for Code Education Innovation Case Competition: An extension program supporting students advancing equity in education through an international tech-driven case competition. Learn more about the Case Competition with IBM.
- Up to Us Campus Competition: An extension program supporting students in the U.S. in building a more sustainable economic and fiscal future. Learn more about Up to Us.
The applications for CGI U 2022's student programs will be open through January 21, 2022.
For information about CGI U's year-long program application and how to apply, please read below. For more information on the Verizon Forward for Good Challenge's application and selection and how to apply, please click here.
Application and Selection Process
Applications will be reviewed by the CGI U Selection Committee. All applicants will be notified of admissions decisions in March 2022. The CGI U Selection Committee is committed to selecting a diverse cohort of students - representing different backgrounds, experiences, regions, institutions, academic studies, and project areas - that demonstrate the motivation to tackle specific challenges, the capacity to develop their leadership skills, and a commitment to CGI U's year-round program.
If you have a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the selection process, please contact the CGI U team at [email protected].
CGI U 2022 Program Schedule
All accepted CGI U students are expected to be available for the entirety of the scheduled dates of the three online modules outlined below. Accepted students are required to attend and fully participate in all online module activities. The average time commitment is 3 hours per module.
May 2022 - October 2022
CGI U Graduation Requirements
Through the online platform, Commitment Mentors will review and monitor student engagement in the CGI U curriculum and ensure that students are fulfilling requirements for graduation. To complete the CGI U program and become eligible for CGI U’s Commitment-Maker seal, letters of recommendation and other opportunities, students must complete the following over the course of the 2022 program:
- Participation in at least four (4) small group discussion throughout the program(to be scheduled by Commitment Mentors)
- Review of CGI U’s 30-minute webinar recordings and readings, which will be housed on the online platform, and completion of all accompanying exercises
- Completion of one 30-minute individual coaching session with their Commitment Mentor per module (4 in total)
- Completion of Commitment to Action progress report
Submitting a Competitive Application
To be considered for CGI U, students must apply with a Commitment to Action: a new, specific, and measurable initiative that addresses a pressing challenge. We encourage you to use the following resources when preparing your submissions:
- Topics: Learn about CGI U's Focus Areas and Keywords to determine the scope of your commitment.
- Development: Use our Commitment to Action Toolkit to design a thoughtful social impact project with diversity, equity, and inclusion in mind.
- Criteria: Review the Rubric to have a better understanding of what the CGI U Selection Committee is looking for when evaluating student applications.
- Preparation: Use the Application Preview to draft your application answers before submitting them online.
- Information Sessions: Join our interactive Prospective Student Sessions to have a better understanding of the CGI U 2022 student programs, Commitment to Action framework, and application processes. Recordings will be available for those unable to join.
Want to help us promote CGI U?
- Nominate a student who would make an excellent candidate for this opportunity.
- Utilize our Recruitment Toolkit for access to social media templates, graphics, an information deck, and more.
- If your college or university is interested in partnering with CGI U to support social innovators on your campus, fill out the CGI University Network interest form.