The Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) is looking for higher education students, undergraduate or graduate, who make Commitments to Action that positively impact their community. CGI U students address pressing challenges in five focus areas: education, environment and climate change, peace and human rights, poverty alleviation, and public health.
You are eligible for CGI U 2022 if:
- You are enrolled in an institution of higher learning at the time of application
- You are at least 18 years of age or have a legal guardian
- You have not previously been accepted to CGI U
Students selected for CGI U participate in a year-round program that includes access to: personalized mentorship; a social impact curriculum; funding streams through CGI U partners; and student engagement events, including the CGI U 2022 annual meeting, which will be virtual in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Additional programming will be offered to students through partnerships with Verizon to help students develop innovative technology solutions to pressing U.S. issues, with the opportunity to earn a spot in an accelerator program and pitch for seed funding; IBM to help students develop app-based projects that address COVID-19 and climate change through Call for Code; and Verizon to help students develop innovative technology solutions to pressing domestic issues, with the opportunity to win a spot in an accelerator program and pitch for seed funding. And the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, with a focus on U.S. civic issues and fiscal sustainability.
The applications for CGI U 2022 will launch in September 2021 and will be open through January 2022.
Application and Selection Process
Applications will be reviewed by the CGI U Selection Committee. All applicants will be notified of admissions decisions in March 2022. The CGI U Selection Committee is committed to selecting a diverse cohort of students - representing different backgrounds, experiences, regions, institutions, academic studies, and project areas - that demonstrate the motivation to tackle specific challenges, the capacity to develop their leadership skills, and a commitment to CGI U's year-round program.
If you have a disability and need a reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the selection process, please contact the CGI U team at [email protected].
CGI U 2022 Program Schedule
All accepted CGI U students are expected to be available for the entirety of the scheduled dates of the four online modules outlined below. Accepted students are required to attend and fully participate in all online module activities. The average time commitment is 3 hours per module.
Online Module One
Online Module Two
Online Module Three
May 2022 - June 2022
Online Module Four
July 2022 - November 2022
CGI U Graduation Requirements
Through the online platform, Commitment Mentors will review and monitor student engagement in the CGI U curriculum and ensure that students are fulfilling requirements for graduation. To complete the CGI U program and become eligible for CGI U’s Commitment-Maker seal, letters of recommendation and other opportunities, students must complete the following over the course of the 2022 program:
- Participation in at least four (4) small group discussion throughout the program(to be scheduled by Commitment Mentors)
- Review of CGI U’s 30-minute webinar recordings and readings, which will be housed on the online platform, and completion of all accompanying exercises
- Completion of one 30-minute individual coaching session with their Commitment Mentor per module (4 in total)
- Completion of Commitment to Action progress report
Submitting a Competitive Application
To be considered for CGI U, students must apply with a Commitment to Action: a new, specific, and measurable initiative that addresses a pressing challenge. We encourage you to use the following resources when preparing your submissions:
- Topics: Learn about CGI U's Focus Areas and Keywords to determine the scope of your commitment.
- Development: Use our Commitment to Action Toolkit to design a thoughtful social impact project with diversity, equity, and inclusion in mind.
- Criteria: Review the Rubric (coming soon) to have a better understanding of what the CGI U Selection Committee is looking for when evaluating student applications.
- Preparation: Use the Application Preview (coming soon) to draft your application answers before submitting them online.
- Information Sessions: Join our interactive Prospective Student Sessions to have a better understanding of the CGI U 2022 student programs, Commitment to Action framework, and application processes. Recordings will be available for those unable to join.
Want to help us promote CGI U?
- Nominate a student who would make an excellent candidate for this opportunity.
- Utilize our Recruitment Toolkit (coming soon) for access to social media templates, graphics, an information deck, and more.
- If your college or university is interested in partnering with CGI U to support social innovators on your campus, fill out the CGI University Network interest form.