The Clinton Global Initiative University is looking for higher education student leaders who are committed to take action in their community to address a pressing challenge. We are looking for undergraduate and graduate students across the world who are motivated to make a positive change in the areas of education, environment and climate change, peace and human rights, poverty allevation, and public health. Students accepted into CGI U will participate in a year-round program that includes access to: high-touch mentorship; a social impact curriculum; funding streams; and student engagement events, including an invitation to the CGI U 2021 annual meeting from April 9-11 at the University of Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland.
The application for CGI U 2021 will open in late summer (Northern Hemisphere). More details coming soon.
Application and Selection Process
Applications will be reviewed by the CGI U Selection Committee. All applicants, Early Deadline and Final Deadline, will be notified of admissions decisions in mid-November. The CGI U Selection Committee aims to convene a diverse cohort of students that demonstrate the motivation to tackle specific challenges, the capacity to develop their leadership skills, and dedication to CGI U's yearlong program.
Please note, you are eligible to apply to the CGI U Class of 2021 if you have never previously been accepted to CGI U, you are at least 18 years of age, and you are currently enrolled in an institution of higher education at the time of application.
CGI U 2021 Program Schedule
All accepted CGI U students are expected to be available for the entirety of the scheduled dates of the four online modules outlined below. Accepted students are required to attend and fully participate in all online module activities. The average time commitment is 3 hours per module.
Online Module One: Beyond CGI U's Application: Laying the Groundwork for Your Commitment to Action
November 15, 2020 - December 15, 2020
Online Module Two: Ideas into Action: Taking Your Project to the Next Level
January 10, 2021 - March 1, 2021
Online Module Three: Core Skills to Prepare for the CGI U Annual Meeting and Beyond
March 1, 2021 - April 15, 2021
Online Module Four: What's Next? Sustaining Your Commitment
May 1, 2021 - November, 2021
CGI U Graduation Requirements
Through the online platform, Commitment Mentors will review and monitor student engagement in the CGI U curriculum and ensure that students are fulfilling requirements for graduation. To complete the CGI U program and become eligible for CGI U’s Commitment-Maker seal, letters of recommendation and other opportunities, students must complete the following over the course of the 2021 program:
- Participation in one, hour-long small group discussion per module (4 in total) (to be scheduled by Commitment Mentors)
- Review of CGI U’s 30-minute webinar recordings and readings, which will be housed on the online platform
- Completion of one 30-minute individual coaching session with their Commitment Mentor per module (4 in total)
- Completion of Commitment to Action progress report post CGI U annual meeting in April
Submitting a Competitive Application
To be considered for CGI U, students must apply with a Commitment to Action: a new, specific, and measurable initiative that addresses a pressing challenge.
- Topics: Learn about CGI U's Focus Areas and Keywords to determine the scope of your commitment.
- Preparation: Utilize the Application Preview to draft your application answers before submitting them online.
- Webinar: Watch this information session webinar to walk through the CGI U application process.
- Motivation: Emphasize in your application how you are connected to the problem you are trying to solve.