Industrial Revelation commits to investing $1,000,000 in developing farmer training and inputs; research and development; processing facilities; and distribution networks to meet the overall objectives of the commitment. Specific objectives include: (1) training one programmatic nutritionist to develop an effective country-wide program that will ensure timely delivery of life-saving RUTF to 1,000 malnourished children within the first year; and (2) providing 20 job opportunities producing RUTF and another 100 agricultural jobs in producing the raw materials needed.
National Guidelines have been developed and are going to be distributed country-wide. These guidelines dictate the management of severe acute malnutrition (SAM). This is a big accomplishment and was a joint effort between the Ministry of Health, Tanzanian Food and Nutrition Center (TFNC), UNICEF, and other stakeholders. These guidelines illustrate the support from the government and allow the programmatic side of the equation to begin to move forward. As it stands, the timing is ideal to move forward with this commitment and production levels should be able to match the scale-up quite nicely.
Industrial Revelation has also spent much time working with the WHO, UNICEF, TFNC, and many others to advocate for Industrial Revelation's campaign to address malnutrition in Tanzania. With such a simple solution in Plumpy'nut in the treatment of SAM, they have a real opportunity to join forces to make a difference in the state of childhood malnutrition in Tanzania. This work has paid off and Industrial Revelation has been asked to spearhead the coordination of a comprehensive national plan for the roll-out and treatment of SAM.
Specific goals include:
- Work with the Clinton Foundation's CHAI division to raise awareness within the government regarding the benefits of RUTF in effectively treating malnourished children.
- To hire a manager to form distribution networks and delivery systems to get currently imported RUTF to the most needed areas.
- Conduct in-depth market research on current pricing and demand, availability of ingredients, cost analysis of importing RUTF, strategies for price reduction and alternative recipe formulation possibilities.
- Create partnerships with relevant organizations that will help further the business objectives.
- Set-up of a RUTF processing facility using locally grown ingredients and local management team.
- Determine plan for re-investing processing facility profits to grow distribution of RUTF capacity through expansion or additional processing facilities.
Industrial Revelation's commitment team has identified a management team, a space to set up production, and has developed relationships with customers in Tanzania such as the Clinton Foundation, UNICEF, and PEPFAR. In addition, Industrial Revelation has also secured the rights to produce in Tanzania from the patent holders, Nutriset in France to produce Plumpy'nut and Plumpy'doz, used to treat severe and moderate acute malnutrition. The implementation process is currently on-going.
SEEKING: financial resources, implementing partners, best practices information.
Industrial Revelation is seeking partners that can provide dry-skimmed milk powder or subsidize the cost so that the overall cost of RUTFS is affordable. Industrial Revelation is also looking for partners that are interested in financing local farmers to produce high-quality peanuts.
- Partners in the East Africa region to source raw materials such as peanuts to the Power Foods RUTF facility.
OFFERING: Best Practice Information
We will be looking to guide developing countries on how to set up their own local production.