In collaboration with Gap Inc., ICRW commits to a new women's empowerment and workplace advancement initiative. The program will work intensively with a core group of women ages 18 to 30 in Gap-contracted manufacturing facilities. The program will focus on education, life skills development and occupational advancement of women garment workers. ICRW and Gap Inc. will observe and measure the factors associated with their success across 4 countries (India, China, Cambodia and Turkey) to allow for future scale-up and replication.
CGI's growing attention to gender issues has prompted ICRW to make a commitment that highlights the unique nature of an NGO-corporate partnership to improve the lives of women. We see CGI as a unique forum that brings together leaders from the corporate, non-profit, and research worlds and allows them to explore creative, interesting and effective ways to impact, change, and move the gender agenda forward.
ICRW will work with Gap, its vendors, and local NGO partners to launch the P.A.C.E. program, serving as the operational partner for strategy, program guidance, and evaluation across 4 countries. In consultation with Gap, ICRW has developed a comprehensive program strategy; the two partners will work in collaboration with local partners to ensure implementation of universal elements of the program for consistency and success across the four countries. Within this comprehensive strategy, special attention will also be paid to the local context.
Measures of Success:
- Increase in female garment workers with leadership and management positions
- Increase in female garment workers in male-dominated jobs, increased financial literacy and management among female garment workers
- Increased decision-making role in the family among female garment workers
- Increased productivity in the factory
- Decreased absenteeism in the factory
First Milestone(s): Program Launch in India, Oct., 2007
Summary of Activities:
- Launch of the P.A.C.E. program in two Gap vendor factories in northern and southern India (Bangalore and Delhi)
- Program roll-out in the intervention sites
- Analysis of baseline data from intervention and control sites
- Design of indicators and framework for global program evaluation
ICRW will act as international operating partner for the program, collaborating with Gap Inc.'s Social and Community Investment Team, in-country operating partners, vendors and employees, the local communities, and program participants.